Did you know that most vehicles rolling around the Triangle and Apex
are about 12 years old? Before the Great Recession began back in 2008, the average age of a vehicle was closer to seven years. Many people, especially those with house payments, long commutes and kids, opted to keep what they have rolling along. With tightening budgets and a still “slow to grow” economy, everyone is stretching the life out of their cars, trucks, SUV’s, and wallets.
With the average of around 100,000 miles on a lot of North Carolina vehicles, you can help yourself early in many situations and get a heads up on any problems before they become major by doing the following common sense five line Autumn ’13 checklist
- Open the hood once in a while: Check hoses and belts for cracks; make sure the radiator hoses are good and stiff. If they are soft and pliable, you need new ones. Look for seepage and leakage on the garage floor or driveway. No leak is good.
- Run the A/C and the heater: It is a good idea to run the air and heat at least once a month year round to keep everything working correctly; you will need both many months of the year.
- Pat attention to your mileage: Your car does age by years and by miles. If your car has very low or even high mileage, it still needs regular attention and service.
- Test drive the vehicle like you want to buy it: Normally, you jump into the family vehicle and crank the kids and the radio up. Commuters always play news and music on the loud side. Drive it with no radio and no distractions for at least three miles and ay various speeds. Brake easy and break hard. Does anything rattle or shake? Does it make noise? It pays big to pay attention.
- Document services and fuel: Get a 99 cent notebook and keep it in the glove box. When you get gas, note date, money, and miles. Do the same for all services and maintenance; oil changes, wiper changes and new tires for example. The record will be worth its weight in gold when you sell the vehicle and show the potential new owner you kept records.
At Premier 1 Automotive in Apex
, we are your full service automotive center that can take care of everything from Ford to Chevy to Hot Rod. We are locally and independently owned, ASE-Certified and we specialize in European and Asian import vehicles
. Our highly trained technicians have advanced level certifications in automotive repair and are experts in diagnostics and the servicing of your BMW, Volvo, Audi, Volkswagen, Saab, Land Rover, Jaguar, Mercedes or Mini Cooper.
Please come and see us for all your normal maintenance and we welcome the times of emergency when you really need us as well. But with a little “auto-love” on your part, you and your ride can get old together! Yes… we do taxi cabs!
This is yet another informational “Tips from the Hood!” article for our great customers and potential customers!
This post is brought to you by the Good Guys at Premier 1 Automotive in Apex, NC!
E-mail us at…
Premier 1Automotive @gmail.com
Head to our website…
Find us and like us on Facebook…
Follow us on Twitter…
919 387 6800
1050 Investment Blvd Apex, NC 27502
Photo: brandon, damian frredigitalphoto.net